Sunday, November 8, 2009

Love Comes in Words

In this quick update, I just want to say thank you to all my family and friends. You make me want to give up my perfectionism and just be a normal, healthy human being! I'm 14,600 words into my novel for National Novel Writing Month. Technically, since I started the project on October 25 and am due to finish November 25, I'm actually behind on the goal of getting to 50,000 words. But I may be able to catch up.


Still...keeping up with the word count isn't the hardest part of what I'm doing. The hardest part is keeping the duct tape firmly in place over the mouth of my inner critic. That's the voice every writer has inside, the voice that says, "Wow. I didn't think it was possible for writing to be this lousy...But it is. Wow." Yeah, the inner critic isn't a nice voice to have hanging around in your head.


But thank God for my family and friends, who are as kind and as encouraging as that darned inner critic is obnoxious. When I say, "It's a cheesy novel," my friends say, "Your writing isn't cheesy! Come on now!" When I say, "I have no plot and so my writing's all over the place and won't be good," my writing group says, "Don't be ridiculous. It'll be great. I'm proud of you!" When I say, "I'll let you read it, but it'll be bad," my family says, "We don't care about that. We're just excited to see what you've done."


All this positive reinforcement, all these invitations to just relax and enjoy myself, all these reminders that I don't have to be perfect... I'm so thankful for it all. I need it. God speaks like that...with love and encouragement. And my family and friends speak like that too. Your words carry your love to me. Thank you!


P.S. For those who want to know, the novel is a fantasy story, and it keeps changing on me, new characters keep popping up that I hadn't planned on, and the relationships between them are changing. These characters are keeping me on my toes, I'll tell you that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.