Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo Has Begun!

Ok, so you're asking yourself, "NaNoWriMo? What's that?" Don't worry, it's not contagious. It's just the abbreviation for National Novel Writing Month, which takes place every November. This year, I've decided to give it a try. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. That's about 1,667 words per day, for a total of around 200 pages by the end of the month. That's a lot of writing. I'm doing it for two reasons: (1) I want to get into a more regular habit of writing fiction every day and writing plenty of pages, rather than worrying so much about editing my writing that I never get anything done. (2) I'll be able to say I've written a novel, no matter how crappy it turns out. And if I can write one novel, I can certainly write others.

For the next 30 days, I'll be busy writing for NaNoWriMo, and that means I may not be writing as much on this blog. I'm determined to write here once a week, but it will probably be simple entries for the next four weeks...a short hello, a thought for the day, or an update on my NaNoWriMo fun. When November is over and December rolls around, I'll be back to more formal entries here. So stay tuned.

Here's a thought for the day to jumpstart your week: Remember the simple joys of childhood, and let that joy bring a smile to your face today. Halloween was a few days ago. I remember how much fun it was to dress up and go trick-or-treating door to door with my brother. I loved seeing what kind of candy each house would have for us. Talk about carefree days! When you're that age, you have no worries...or at least, you shouldn't. God wants us to have that same carefree attitude, that same in-the-moment joy of living, no matter what age we are. So think back to a time you felt that kind of simple, childlike delight in life, and let that feeling fill you today and carry you through the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.