Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Headlines not exactly heady

Today’s topical Tuesday blog post...My thoughts on some of the current news stories (mostly headlines, one quote) on MSNBC. Just because they're "Head"-lines doesn't mean someone used their brains to write them.



1. A top story headline reads: “Public pension funds are ‘going to Vegas’: States, government bodies are increasing investment risk to raise returns.” This headline doesn't need much explanation. Local governments are behind in funds, so they're making riskier investments. But don’t you wish they had worded that headline differently? We all know that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. My tax money is like Elvis. It’s left the building and it isn’t coming back.


2. In an article about Israeli-U.S. relations, Joe Biden is quoted as saying, “There is no space between the United States and Israel when it comes to Israel's security.” Maybe it’s just me. But if I’m Israel and I’ve got Joe Biden pressing the flesh with me, I have to say I’d want my personal space. A little more room here, please? Please?


3. How about this headline: “Detroit wants to save itself by shrinking”? Can you shrink a city? Can you get Rick Moranis to help you with that? A reboot of the “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” series could help Hollywood and Detroit at the same time.


4. I see they’re comparing the “Hurt Locker” win over “Avatar” at the Oscars to the fight between David and Goliath. Umm…Not quite.


5. Simon Cowell is engaged. The headline reads: “Is the world ready for little Simon Cowells?” I guess we’re supposed to imagine little kids being sarcastic, rude, and disrespectfully honest. I’m thinking that if we ask any elementary school teachers we know, they’ll say their classrooms are already full of kids like this, without Simon Cowell’s help. Just the world we live in today, right?


Copyright (c) 2010 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.