Friday, March 26, 2010

What Constitutes a Bad Day

It's philosphical Friday again, but I'm not feeling philosphical. Honestly, I'm struggling for a subject today...perhaps because I'm tired. You'll see how that fact connects to my topic as you read today's entry.

I might categorize today as a "bad day." Please, don't worry! I don't mean that in the worst sense, not at all. I mean that in a casual sense. It's not a horrible day. Not a crisis. Not a trauma. Not an emergency. Just a normal, mundane, average "bad day."

What do I mean? Well, I'm tired. I stayed up late last night reading (nerd that I am), and as a consequence I had to drag myself out of bed this morning. (And it's approaching that time of the month...sorry to any male readers if that's too much information.) I'm just not energetic, and I'm never at my best when I'm feeling tired. That's just that way it is. Which means that while it's not a horrible day, it's not great either, because I'm not performing at top capacity.

What constitutes a bad day? For me, it's a day in which I'm just not getting much done...not at my best...waiting for the day to be over, but the hours are dragging... A day of "blahness."

I imagine other people would define their "bad days" differently. Isn't that interesting? We define so many ideas through our own points of view, our own strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes. It's easy to assume we're agreed on the meaning of terms, when in fact we're not. I don't think anyone agrees of what makes a bad day. But if we talk about it, we can understand each other better. That's a cool thought, isn't it? We can draw closer to one another through communication...even if we don't agree. (And that really is philosophical.)

So, what constitutes a bad day for you? And for that matter, what constitutes a good day for you? After all, I hate to leave you (and myself) on a negative note. So, what is a good day? For me, a good day is filled with energy, peace, accomplishment, and connection to God and other people. (And good food...because I like to eat.) A good day is when I feel centered, when I feel like I'm being exactly who I'm supposed to be, and I'm at my best.

Funny...As I'm writing this, I'm feeling more energized, more optimistic, perhaps because I'm being the writer that God made me to be. See what I mean? Doing what I'm good at, and doing it well enough to satisfy me...It makes me feel good, and suddenly, it's a good day.

I've waxed philosophical long enough. I've managed a blog entry today, despite my mild fatigue. And I'm remembering just how much I love to write and communicate my thoughts to others. Hmm. It's not such a bad day, after all.

Copyright (c) 2010 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.