Thursday, May 13, 2010

Saying No...Is it Gender-Based?

Today's Thought:
Does gender make it easier or harder to say no? Or are other factors more important in determining whether you have a strong NO muscle?

The ChipperMuse Extra:
A friend raised this question based off yesterday's topic. She wonders if our society (American, I suppose I should say as a qualifier) makes it easier on boys to say no, while girls are discouraged more often from being anything less than agreeable all the time?

I don't know how I feel about this. I do think culture plays a part in whether or not we become effective at setting boundaries and saying no. Overall life experience plays a part. And so does the family we grew up in. I suppose gender has its part, but I wouldn't have emphasized that factor, because I know some men who are terrible at setting boundaries.

But I'm curious to see what other people think. If you have an opinion on the subject, let me know in a post on the blog, Facebook, or Twitter.

I'd also like to hear whether you personally find it easy to say no...and I mean that in the general sense. I know you probably like to take situations on a case-by-case basis. But in general with all things being equal and nothing being highly unusual about a situation, do you generally find it easy or hard to say no?

I'll post the results and my thoughts on the results as soon as I can!

Copyright (c) 2010 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.