Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Your Ticket to Success

Today's Thought:
Your respect for others will be your ticket to success. (Thanks, fortune cookie, for your wisdom!)

The ChipperMuse Extra:
Every once in a while, I get a fortune cookie with a fortune in it that seems absolutely brilliant. This is one of them. Over the years, I've come to see that my success doesn't happen totally by my own efforts...maybe because true success always involves other people in some fashion. Whenever I do well on the job, it's due at least in part to my willingness to cooperate and listen to coworkers. My successful relationships have developed as a result of learning how to make strong connections and work out problems with other people. If I have strength of character and if I achieve significant personal accomplishments, it is the result not just of my own hard work, but also through the encouragement, guidance, and constructive criticism I've received from other people.

I don't believe it is possible to go far in life if you don't respect others. And you sure won't be as happy as you can be. Other people have so much to offer you and me. And I think the key to drawing on what others have to offer is simple: Treat them right. Listen to them. Allow them their opinions, even if you disagree. See things from their point of view. Make a point of being kind. Be honest, but see if you can let them know you love them while you're also being honest.

This approach to relationships goes beyond the Golden Rule of doing unto others as they do unto us. It enters the realm of doing unto others what is decent and right, regardless of how they treat us. For every fool who doesn't appreciate receiving that kind of respect, there are a hundred wise people who will appreciate it...and those are the people who will help us as we propel our way forward in life.

I pray to be a person who respects others and helps others find success. I consider those two things as a gift I can offer. I hope you'll consider doing the same. You'll be making your corner of the world a little better for everyone, yourself included.

Copyright (c) 2010 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Michele – I couldn't agree with you more. I'm reminded of what the Bible says concerning how we should act ... But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! (Gal. 5:22-23 NLT). God is Love but, God is also Gentleness, one of the fruit of the Spirit we should exercise daily. Nice hearing from you again.

    –Eliseo Torres

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.