Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The World Series It's Not

Highly charged moments. Dramatic back-and-forth struggles. Scores counted. Highs and lows. Bragging, showing off, and trash-talking. Proud winners. Sore and dejected losers. Vows that things are going to be different next time.

No, I’m not talking about the World Series. I’m talking about yesterday’s elections.

I care about our elections as much as the next person. In fact, there’s a 50-50 chance I care more than the next person, because the average turnout for elections in our country is typically 50% or less.

That’s not the only way I’m different, because I don’t just vote. I also try to base my vote on my best assessment of something that many voters never talk about.

Not issues. Not political affiliation. Not age, or gender, or color. Not popularity.
I’m talking about character.

Let’s be real. Politicians of any ilk have the potential to abuse their power, be irresponsible, fail to show up for votes, appease their party more than addressing the needs of their constituents, and otherwise do the things that make them…well, you know…politicians.

I don’t care whether you are a Republican or a Democrat. You can still lie. I don’t care if you’re for or against abortion or gun rights or fiscal responsibility if I can’t count on you to fulfill your office with wisdom, diligence, right motivation, and class.

A politician of character is like any other person of character. Such people respect others, do their best, act with humility, exercise passion with discipline and discernment…

Such people are hard to find. Yet they are exactly the ones I trust the most to represent me. Not Republicans. Not Democrats. Not Independents. Not Christians. Not non-Christians. Not career politicians. Not Tea Party-ers. People of character.

Many Americans will rejoice over the latest election results. As though it is the end of the World Series and they can go home celebrating. But government is not a game. And it’s not over. We don’t win until the people we’ve just elected actually prove themselves with wise actions.

I’m watching and waiting. We’ll see, won’t we?

Copyright (c) 2010 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. I concur.

    Now, it's time for me to watch and pray for the leaders of our country and do it more than I have ever done.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.