Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Everything You See in Entertainment Starts with Rudolph


It’s the holiday season…and Christmas shows are beginning to air. So are seasonal commercials, all of which seem to have the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies playing in the background, as though there are no other winter songs to choose from. But that’s a subject for another blog. Let me get right to my point: I’ll bet you never realized how many movies and TV shows have their origins in a line of dialogue from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

I know what you’re thinking. The Chipper Muse has been drinking! But no, no I haven’t. I’m serious. The idea dawned on me when the king of the Island of Misfit Toys says, “A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.” Which, of course, is the inspiration for Toy Story. And anyone who has seen Elf knows that it was written and filmed with Rudolph in mind.

With my trusty notebook, I watched Rudolph this year, paying close attention to the dialogue that became the building blocks for well-known Hollywood productions. And just as you might suspect, I found quite a few of our favorite films and programs were inspired by the red-nosed reindeer. Let me show you. And let the holiday fun begin!

Line: “Who ever heard of a skinny Santa? Eat! Eat?”
Inspired: Fatso, a movie about a fat guy who can't stop eating

Line: “Suddenly it hit—the storm of storms!”
Inspired: The Perfect Storm and The Day After Tomorrow, both about killer storms

Line: “Someday I’d like to be a dentist.”
Inspired: Little Shop of Horrors and The Marathon Man, both with famous dental scenes

Line: “That sounded terrible! The tenor section was weak.”
Inspired: American Idol (and you think Simon is original)

Line: “I’ll never get off this island. Never.”
Inspired: Lost (self-explanatory)

Line: “That stupid elf song is driving me crazy!”
Inspired: Glee

Line: “My name’s Clarice. Hi.”
Inspired: The Silence of the Lambs

Line: “Like I said—the outside world is full of danger.”
Inspired: Witness (the grandfather was supposed to say this, but it got edited out)

Line: “All he thinks about are silver and gold.”
Inspired: Wall Street

Line: “The Bumble sinks.”
Inspired: Titanic (aka, the “bumble” to its bumbling shipbuilders)

Line: “Oink, oink, oink, oink.”
Inspired: Hot Fuzz and Police Academy

Line: “As good as everyone feels, this is no time to celebrate.”
Inspired: Die Hard (What do you think “yippee-ei-oh-kay-ay” means?)

I’ll be back next week with more Christmas humor. See you then!

Copyright (c) 2010 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.