Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday Writing Update

As you may or may not know, I'm a writer. Professionally full-time for a non-profit organization. Professionally part-time as a freelancer. And not yet professionally but heading that way as a fiction/non-fiction writer of my own work, a few small pieces of which have been officially published in print that other people have read.

Being creative is a challenge. And the empty page is scary. So I'm going to stop by the blog on Fridays with a quick update on what I've been up to. Maybe it'll inspire you to create your own art. Maybe it'll simply help me be accountable to people who read my blog and will say to me, "Hey, why aren't you writing?" You have my permission to call me on it if I sound like I'm getting lazy.

This week I wrote two pages for a traditional fantasy novel I've been writing, on and off, since 2009. I love the concept for it, but wrestling the characters into a plot has been kind of a bear. That's why it is going so slowly.

I also played around with a funny fantasy novel set in the real world, but with fairies showing up to look for a long-lost changeling. This idea is going to be fun, as I plan to unleash my sense of humor in it.

The hardest part of writing fiction? For me, that's getting words on the page without worrying, "Should my characters do this or that? Maybe this is a lame plot." Etc. For me, the more I try to do an outline, the harder it is to write. So I've decided to write by the seat of my pants. This takes longer, and requires more editing, but it helps me fight the endless questioning of my decisions. So I'm going with that. We'll see how it goes.

Pop in on Sundays for a spiritual thought of the day (if I have one). And on Mondays for my blog, Twitter, book, DVD, or CD recommendation of the week. And Wednesdays, as always, I'll post a (hopefully funny) commentary on whatever strikes my fancy. As always.

Love to you all! And ciao for now!
The Chipper Muse

Copyright (c) 2011 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.