Friday, February 11, 2011

Eating Habits: Fast Food = Missions Trip

I'm back from a missions trip to Honduras. That means no writing update. But I do have an eating update. Interesting observation, really...

On a missions trip, between the full schedule and the attempts to avoid Moctezuma's revenge, we tend to eat a lot at American fast food places. (In Honduras, you can go to McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and Pizza Hut, for starters.) As a result, I ate a lot of meat, bread, french fries, and soda. Not the way I'd normally eat, but I make sacrifices when I am in a foreign country.

Here's the interesting part... Apparently, Oklahomans eat this way ALL THE TIME.

Okay, not all Oklahomans. I certainly don't, though I'm a transplant from Connecticut, so maybe I don't count. But a lot, lot, lot of Oklahomans do eat as though they're on a missions trip every day of their lives. Here's the evidence: http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112083/10-states-with-the-deadliest-eating-habits

This is a frightening set of statistics. Poverty combined with a lack of wisdom is putting Americans at risk. This shouldn't be. We don't need to eat like we're on a missions trip every day of our lives. We can choose to take care of ourselves. Good food should be affordable, shouldn't it? Especially in this country. Am I too much of an idealist? I don't know. Tell me what you think.

Copyright (c) 2011 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.