Friday, April 8, 2011

Great Songwriting's In the Ear of the Listener

So, I'm listening to the local radio station as they advertise a Lyle Lovett concert that's coming to town. Full disclosure here: I am not a Lyle Lovett fan. I am not a country music fan. But even so, I'm willing to listen to any song at least once to give it a chance.


Especially when an ad claims that the songwriter is "one of the greatest songwriters of all time." And I'm willing to give Lovett the chance to prove it to me.


If only the ad didn't choose this song to prove the man's "great songwriting skills." And I quote:


If I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat
And we could all together
Go out on the ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat



Now, I've never taught elementary school. But I'm pretty sure that if I had, and if I gave a poetry writing assignment, I might get these lyrics. Or something very similar. Perhaps Lovett's musical arrangements are amazing. But his lyrics, which count as part of the song-writing, are pretty lousy. This song makes me what to do anything but go to this concert now. (And yes, that includes going to see Sucker Punch.)


I'll stay true to myself. I'll give Lyle Lovett another chance and another listen sometime. Just not with that particular song. Ever.


Copyright (c) 2011 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.