Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday Update

Plotting takes time. But it works better when you know what drives your characters. I've fought that reality on and off for many years. But the truth is, if you know what makes your character tick, it's easier to figure out situations that will make them uncomfortable, miserable, stressed... And here's the key... READY TO CHANGE.

Because most stories are about change. And dramatic changes are the result of being FORCED into it. That's true for most of us, anyway. And it's certainly true of fictional characters, who after all aren't real people but tools that we are using to tell a story. They should feel real. But they can't be exactly like real people, or we'll get bored and frustrated with them.

I say all this because I'm very excited with the plotting I'm doing for an urban fantasy/horror. Now that I know how my main character thinks and what she wants and fears, I'm really able to see how the story needs to progress, making her more and more miserable, but also forcing her to rise to the occasion in ways she doesn't expect.

Cool.

So that's what I've been up to. Hope your creative endeavors are jetting along happily!

4 comments:

  1. I had this little epiphany not too long ago, too. Which explains why my characters tend to do a whole lot of staring and glaring and no talking whatsoever. Ah, well, such is life. Which makes them a bit more real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Jenn! My characters stare and glare a lot too. Probably too much! It is hard to get them to do something else sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and right on target. I tend to discover theme first, build character to carry theme and then build the plot to test the character within the theme.

    This way everything meshes to the heart of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gene! Good point about theme--it helps tie everything together, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.