Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Making the Most of Your Time

As a writer, I'm always challenged to use my time wisely and effectively. I am a procrastinator, first of all, and a perfectionist too, both of which point me away from sitting and writing.

Much of life is like that. If you want to do something other than what you need to get done, a host of reasons will present themselves to you faster than courting Greeks in the halls of the missing Odysseus. (You'd have to be an English major to appreciate that allusion, but take it from me, as soon as it looked like Odysseus wasn't coming home, the entire Greek population descended on the guy's wife like flies on rotten meat.)

Anyway, the point is... It's easy to put something aside and say, "I'll get to this later." The problem is, you don't always have until later. Case in point this week: Joplin, Missouri. You just never know what life is going to bring you, and sometimes it isn't pretty.

Joplin makes me ask myself: "If this were my last day, how would I spend my time?" The answer to that question is probably what I should be doing all the time. I know this: I wouldn't be such a procrastinator, and I'd see perfectionism as a waste of time.

Time, time, time. There's a Bible scripture that says God redeems time for us. Well, that means time is a valuable commodity. And it's too precious to waste.

So, give it some thought. If this were your last day, how would you spend your time? Then make the most of every minute you have. Even if you have a whole lot of minutes left, think about how full your life will be if you maximize your moments. Full and fun.

Sounds good to me.

Copyright (c) 2011 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved. So there, nyeh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.