Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday Mention: In Our Time Podcast

Looking for a strong, diverse, interesting history podcast? The BBC's "In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg" is a great place to start.


Is it just me, or does the BBC seem to do everything well? Maybe I'm biased because I live in the States, and we get shipped "the good stuff." But I can't remember a time I've been disappointed with a BBC production. And the history podcast, "In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg" is no exception.

The host and producers of this show bring in experts to have a roundtable discussion of a historical topic. As moderator, Mr. Bragg is very adept at making observations and asking questions that bring out the best in his guests. The topics are varied enough to keep any history buff interested. Recent shows have discussed the Dawn of the Iron Age, the Pelagian Controversy, Aristotle's Poetics, the Mexican Revolution, Thomas Edison... Trust me, you won't get bored.

This variety also makes the podcast a great source for fiction writers looking to history for ideas as they plot their novels. That's one reason I listen. As a budding fantasy writer, I need all the resources I can get to help build believable worlds, societies, and cultures in my stories. And a history podcast like this one is a perfect place to start.

In sum:  In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg is a terrific podcast to add to your listening schedule. Find it at iTunes or check out the show's home page at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/in-our-time/.

1 comment:

  1. Agree. This show is great! I also like Entitled Opinions out of Stanford University.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.