Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Do You Vote What You Eat?

The inspiration for today's post comes from the Hunch Blog article titled You Vote What You Eat: How Liberals and Conservatives Eat Differently, found at http://blog.hunch.com/?p=48884.


So, apparently the difference between liberals and conservatives is more than political. It's also food-based. I supposed it's inevitable that we spend our time and dollars study such things. Eventually, scientists will conduct brain scans and discover that we can't help our political affiliations; we're just "born that way."


Great, Lady Gaga's song is going to play at every political rally from now until Jesus comes.


At any rate, this idea is interesting only so long as it is accurate. And I'm not sure it is. Here's an analysis of my own eating habits and their related political affiliations. And as you'll see, I don't exactly fit the mold. As usual.


Typical meal: I prefer pizza and salad to both curry chicken and meatloaf. Middle of the road.
French fries: I eat any type. No strong preference.Um. I'm nothing.
Seafood: I love it. Liberal.
Vegetables: I prefer fresh to cooked. Liberal.
Fresh fruit: I eat it daily. Liberal.
Breakfast: Yogurt, or oatmeal, or fruit.(Not toast, a bagel, or cold cereal.) Conservative.
Peanut butter and jelly: I like raspberry jam. And almond butter. Neither liberal nor conservative.
Tacos: Soft taco, definitely. Conservative.
Pizza: Thin crust, definitely. Liberal
Good home-cooked meal: I make Italian food. Neither liberal nor conservative. Definitely Italian.
Pasta shapes: I use them all. Neither liberal nor conservative. Definitely Italian.
Drink at home: Water. Middle of the road.
Beer: Don't like the taste of it. Conservative.
Soft drinks: Prefer not to drink them. Liberal.
Tap water: I drink it filtered. Middle of the road.
My idea of exotic food: African foods, or delicacies served on small Asian islands. Not sure. Communist?
Fast food: Don't eat it much. Liberal.
Vegetarian: Not really. But I don't eat bacon cheeseburgers much. Not sure. Boring?
Being a foodie: Yup. I'm a foodie. Liberal.
Organic vs. processed foods: Of course there's a difference! Middle of the road to liberal.
Fine dining: Meh. Can take it or leave it. Occasional splurge. Middle of the road.


So apparently I am more middle of the road to liberal than I am conservative. That's probably true. I am also more Italian than the Hunch Blog test allows for. Oh well. As usual, I'm hard to categorize/


Check out the test for yourself, and tell me how you do.


Copyright (c) 2011 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved. Really, why would you want to steal this anyway?

2 comments:

  1. I'm probably considered liberal by most of the food standards. My husband is definitely conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness we don't have to base our menu entirely on our political affiliations!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.