Friday, June 10, 2011

Friday Writing and Creativity: Endurance

Have you ever started climbing a hill, only to feel winded halfway through? That happened to me today while I was doing a quick lap around the company parking lot to stretch my legs. It wasn't even a big hill either. But I still felt like I was pushing beyond my comfort zone.


Writing is sometimes like that too. All creativity is like that. It takes work, it requires strength, and it demands a time commitment. It requires endurance.


When you endeavor to create a novel, as I'm doing, you're hitching your wagon for the long haul. It's not a trip to town. It's a journey on the Oregon Trail. And really, a whole career is that too. A journey. You need endurance to make it to the frontier.And then you keep working, splitting wood, building house and barns and fences, rounding up the horses and shearing the sheep. That's how you keep your life going.


Sometimes writing seems to take forever. But I think it's worth it. So I hack away at my manuscript word by word. Some days I feel like I'm flying along. Many days I feel like I'm taking a nice, relaxed hike. And then there are days that feel like I'm climbing uphill, in the snow, both ways, with bare feet. But that aside, I'm still going to get to my destination.


So if you're feeling like you're climbing uphill, don't be discouraged. You're in good company, and so am I. We can climb together. Just pass me the trail mix, please!


Copyright (c) 2011 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.