Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Little Creativity

I thought I'd do something a little different today. I'm going to give you a glimpse into how my mind works. (Prepare the warp engines, just in case you need to speed away. Hahaha!)


Creativity Is Boundless, by pixelnase
(pixelnase.deviantart.com)
Seriously, sometimes I get the most interesting ideas for first lines of stories or poems. I'll show you an example. The phrase "black storm" came to mind. I'm thinking of using it sometime. So I decided to free write and see what came up in my imagination based on the question: "What is a black storm?" Here's my creative writing answer:


A black storm is the worst kind of storm there is. Clouds rise up tall and dark as smoke from a fire, and just as wild. The wind whips around so strong, it's a terror. Folks say it's the thundergod, trying to wrest power from the Lord of Peace. He strikes madly, left and right, up and down, the thundergod does, looking for the weak, the fragile, the hopeless...them as he may kill. To survive the thundergod's wrath? That's the mark of a great one indeed. It's the mark of a survivor, one what's called to bring hope in the midst of midnight. One what's called to bring the sword into battle and fight for light at the world's end.


What do you think? I'm not sure why I felt the need to use the voice of someone a little uneducated perhaps, or with a regional dialect for his part of whatever fantasy world he lives in, but it seemed right at the time.


My question for you is: Do you ever do this too? Do words, phrases, and sentences pop up in your head, and if they do, do you explore them to see what ideas are lurking in your subconscious? It's a good exercise to try now and again. It pulls on your creativity in ways that conscious thinking maybe doesn't. If you'd like to try it yourself, let me suggest a few options for you. Try one. Or try one of your own making. And share the results with me. I'm curious to see what others come up with.


Writing prompt: Start with one of these ideas and phrases and see where it leads you.
  • A black storm is...
  • They say the dark god is evil...
  • The trees crouch small and low to the ground...
  • The man was tall, with a hawk's nose and a greying beard...
  • I can't wait for the Apocalypse.
Have fun! And don't forget to share what you write, either here in the comments or on your own blog. Give me a link and I'll check it out!

Copyright (c) 2011 by Michele Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.