Friday, December 16, 2011

The Art of Discipline, Part 2

Quite a while ago, I wrote a post on the art of discipline. I call it an art because it takes creativity and personal conviction to be disciplined, just as it does to write.


Here's my earlier post on the art of discipline, in case you want to read it and come back.


This week, my discipline for writing has gone right out the window. I think it's running wild and playing in the snow somewhere, like an excited puppy that has escaped the yard. Frustrating, to say the least. But I've found that when things are busy at the day job, when the holidays and their emotional baggage roll around, and when I'm feeling a little less than 100% in my body...all at once, mind you...then it's easy to let go of discipline. It's kind of a perfect storm to take me off track.


I hate it when I don't write as consistently as I ought to. But sometimes, life happens. We all face this, and we all have to decide how to handle it. For my part, I kind of pull myself inward to conserve energy, and that can mean I write less. That may not the best way to handle pressure, but it's not the worst either.


The bottom line is: Discipline is not easy to maintain. So let's not expect perfection of ourselves. Instead, we can accept it when we just don't hit the mark like we wanted to. And then we can pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and try again. After all, every day is a new day, giving us a new chance to be disciplined. At least, that's how I see it.


What do you do when your writing discipline tries to escape the yard? When pressures come, do you struggle with staying disciplined to write creatively? Maybe pressure makes you focus all the more and get more done.  (If so, I envy you!) Or maybe you have a trick to help yourself stay on target when things are hectic. I'd love to hear about what keeps you disciplined. Share, please!


Copyright (c) 2011 by M.A. Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I love your comment about your discipline being like an escaped and excited puppy, playing in the yard.
    For me, I spend most of my time networking. I have a day job that owns me between the 3 am alarm and getting back home by 3pm. Although I have the next project in the gestation stage, I am still doing the promo work on my debut, as well as waiting for the edits to return to me on its sequel. Beyond that, I try and read a little each day. Soon I will need to back off of my networking and do the writing on that new WIP. How that is going to happen, God only knows. :)
    Have a great weekend!

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling, Chipper. Sometimes, we need to achieve more balance in our writer lives between creative input and output. I've pulled back a bit on my writing frenzies to make more time for reading. Overall, my satisfaction factor has skyrocketed, though my word count is lower. Well-worth the trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jimmy. It sounds like you might be more busy than I am. (That seems scary! God bless you for it.) Let me know a little more about your debut work, and I'll check it out.

    M.E., I always appreciate your support on the blog! It's funny how a little change in how we spend our time can really boost our mood. Glad you are feeling much more satisfied with the change you made. Honestly, I think it helps our writing become better if we write when we're happier. At least, that's what works for me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.