Friday, November 23, 2012

Writing with Thankfulness

AI am so thankful I am a writer. There is no doubt in my mind that writing is something I was created to do and made for, because I love doing it. And of course, with this being Thanksgiving week, I began thinking about how thankfulness and writing go together. They do, you know.

Here's how I think about it:

I'm thankful for the challenges of writing. Aren't you? Sure, writing is a demanding profession. It requires us to continually strive to learn more and be better at what we do. It's not something you can succeed in for very long if you are lazy. Those challenges can remind us of how important it is to pursue the things that we are passionate about, even when they're hard at times. So... Thank you, God, the universe, and life, for that.

I'm thankful that the writing community is one of the warmest, most helpful communities I've ever belonged to. Sure, there are a few curmudgeons out there. There are some bad critiquers and some jealous people in the community. But by and large, most writers I've met, no matter what level of skill they're at or how successful they may be, are glad to take a little time to answer questions, offer suggestions, encourage you when you're down, and giving you accountability when you need it to boost your word count on days that are hard for you. I've made some great writer friends in person at critique groups, online on blogs, and through Twitter. To all of you... Thank you for your support.

I'm thankful that I don't have to define success in writing as only a book deal. Sure, I want a book deal. We all want to be published. But a popular blog is success, because you're reaching your audience. Having opportunities to guest post for other blogs is success, because somebody likes you and what you have to say well enough to give you space in their world to speak. Success is writing more good words than bad words, more in word count that you usually do in a day, better quality than your past work. Success in writing takes on many forms. For that... I say thank you.

And finally, I'm thankful that a good attitude can help you write better, write more words, and write with more joy. When I'm feeling content and thankful, it is somehow easier to be creative as well as to sit for longer at the keyboard and type. This is also true when I feel rested and centered. That state of mind is energizing for my writing, and I'm thankful for that. In fact, I'm going to share about this in a blog series starting next week, because I know that finding and maintaining the energy to write when we're busy is crucial for a lot of us, and sometimes it seems hard to find. I have some ideas about that, and I want to share them with you.

Now, let me ask you: What are you thankful for these days? Share anything, of course, because I love good news. But I'd especially love to know what writerly things you are thankful for.

Copyright (c) 2012 by M.A. Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I'm generally thankful for a fairly quiet and secure season of life right now for myself and my family, knowing that could change at any time without warning. That might sound negative but I really mean it. I don't want to look back on this time and wish that I'd appreciated it. I do appreciate it.
    And as for writing-related, I am super-thankful that my awesome hubby completed the first official pre-read of my novel yesterday and gave me lots of wonderful feedback! I'm excited to take his notes and my own and start on draft 3! Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand where you're coming from, Brandy, and I think your approach is wise. Enjoy every moment as it comes, especially when things are quiet and peaceful. And way cool about getting feedback on your novel from your husband. Best wishes for the revision process. Let me know when you're done!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.