Monday, October 21, 2013

Preparing for Nanowrimo and Writing a First Draft

Let's face it:  If you're participating in National Novel Writing Month, what you're really doing is writing a first draft of something. Could be fiction. Could be nonfiction. But it's a first draft. And Nanowrimo is a way to help you work on that first draft regularly enough to actually finish it. That's what makes Nanowrimo a clever idea.

I have lots of friends who like to participate in this writing event each November, and they're talking about it on their blogs, so this week, I'm linking you to what they have shared. Enjoy!


Twitter buddy Derek, (aka @wrytersblockDH), gives some great basic tips for how to kick off November: http://wrytersblockdh.blogspot.com/2013/10/its-october.html


Fellow Nano-ite Rebekah blogs on what to do if it's November 1 (or near enough) and you're not at all prepared for Nanowrimo:

http://fictionalferrets.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/unprepared-and-dont-care-prepping-for-nanowrimo/

Writer Jami Gold talks about what you need to plan for November:

http://jamigold.com/2013/10/nano-prep-do-you-know-what-to-plan-in-advance/

Alexandra Sokoloff discusses how to choose what you'll write and more:

http://www.screenwritingtricks.com/2013/10/october-is-nanowrimo-prep-month.html

And Writer's Digest talks about the benefits of writing fast, which is what Nano is all about:
http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/benefits-of-writing-a-fast-first-draft?et_mid=642159&rid=239191047


Now, you share:  We have a little over a week until November 1. How are you getting ready for Nanowrimo? Or are you not even participating with the rest of us "fools"? Let me know what you're up to!

Copyright (c) 2013 by M.A. Chiappetta. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. With LESS than a week to go now, I wish I knew how I was getting ready! It's been a long time since I did NaNo as anything other than a Rebel, so I usually don't do anything special to prepare. I just work on whatever I was going to be working on then anyway.

    But I'm actually following the rules this time, and I'm going a bit crazy! I'd characterize my preparation as the "obsession phase," where I am thinking about my story all the time, making notes, outlining, giving my characters makeovers.... anything that I can possibly do that's not writing. And that's REALLY difficult! (Who would have thought that NOT writing would be hard?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The obsession phase... Yes, I've been there. It doesn't really go away. It just kind of sinks into the background once I really have a good sense of the characters and story. Best wishes with the writing!

      Delete
  2. Gah, I'm a bit behind on reading blog subscriptions, so can I just say a huge THANK YOU for linking to my blog post! I do appreciate it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Your Nano posts are always so informative.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.